RBSE Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Chapter 5 Mineral and Energy Resources
RBSE Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Chapter 5 Mineral and Energy Resources are part of RBSE Solutions for Class 8 Social Science. Here we have given RBSE Rajasthan Board Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Chapter 5 Mineral and Energy Resources.
|Chapter Name||Mineral and Energy Resources|
|Number of Questions Solved||13|
Rajasthan Board Class 10 Science Textbook Questions Solved
- Which of the following is the non-metallic mineral?
- Which state is known as the ‘museum of the minerals’?
Fill in the blanks:
- Main hydro electricity projects of Rajasthan are …………and ………….
- The four types of coal
- Any……….thing needs ……….
- Process of digging out mineral is known as…………..
- Chambal and Mahi Bajaj Sagar.
- Four types of Coals:
What is mineral? Classify minerals with examples.
Mineral is a naturally occuring substance, having definite chemical composition. Its outer layer is rigid and hard.
Classification of Minerals.
- Metallic minerals: Those minerals from which we obtain metals like iron, gold, copper, silver, aluminium etc.
They are of two types:
(a) Ferrous: iron ore, manganese etc.
(b) Non Ferrous: does not contain iron but may contain some other metals like- gold, silver, copper etc.
- Non-metallic: they do not contain metals like – coal, mica, sulphur, potash etc.
Distinguish between conventional and non-conventional energy resources.
- These energy resources are exhaustible once used cannot be replaced.
- Cause environmental pollution.
- Expensive sources of energy.
- Coal, petroleum, natural gas etc are the main conventional sources of energy.
- These are non exhaustible that can be renewed in a short period.
- Do not cause environmental pollution
- Cheap sources of energy or free gift of nature.
- Solar energy, wind energy, tidal energy, nuclear energy are the major conventional sources of energy.
What are the main methods of mining? Explain.
Methods of mining:
(a) Open cast Mining and
(b) Shaft mining.
When the minerals are found close to the earth’s surface, they are extracted by removing only the upper layer. This is called open cast mining. In case the minerals are lying deep in the earth’s surface they are extracting by digging pits, it is known as the shaft mining.
- Drilling: Some of the minerals lie very deep in the earth’s surface such as petrol and Natural gas. They are extracted by a process under which deep wells are bored to take the minerals out. This processes is called drilling.
- Quarrying: Some minerals are found lying near the surface. They are simply dug out by digging. This process is known as quarrying.
Why is Rajasthan known as the museum of minerals? Write a brief note in context of mineral wealth of Rajasthan.
Rajasthan abounds with a large variety of minerals next to Jharkhand. Some of the minerals are found exclusively in the Rajasthan state such as Volestonite and Jasper. Rajasthan is called the Museum of minerals. Taj Mahal, one of the seven wonders of the world has been built with the marble extracted from the Makrana mines in the Nagaur districts of Rajasthan. Below given list justifies the significance of the statement that Rajasthan is the museum of minerals.
Name of mineral
90 % of the total
The Rajasthan State’s Metallic and Non-metallic minerals are as follows-
|S.No.||Name of Metallic minerals||Related districts|
|1.||Lead, Zinc||Bhilwara, Udaipur, Rajsamand|
|2.||Copper Ore||Jhunjhunu, Sikar, Alwar, Dungarpur|
|3.||Iron Ore||Jaipur, Jhunjhunu, Udaipur, Bhilwara.|
|5.||Silver||Bhilwara, Udaipur, Rajsamand.|
|S.No.||Name of Non-metallic minerals||Related districts|
|1.||Rock Phosphate||Udaipur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur|
|2.||Limestone||Chittorgarh, Sirohi, Nagaur, Kota, Bundi, Jaisalmer|
|3.||Bauxite||Bhilwara, Ajmer, Udaipur, Jaipur.|
|4.||Zypsum||Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Nagaur, Barmer|
|5.||Soft Stone||Udaipur, Bhilwara, Doongarpur, Dausa|
|6.||Valestonite||Sirohi, Ajmer, Udaipur, Pali|
|7.||Lignite Coal||Bikaner, Barmer, Nagaur|
|8.||Marble||Rajsamand, Nagaur, Udaipur, Jaipur, Banswara|
|9.||Granite||Jalore, Jaisalmer, Pali, Sirohi|
|10.||Sand Stone||Jodhpur, Bundi, Bhilwara, Kota, Dhaulpur, Chittaurgarh|
What do you understand by energy resources? Explain the main energy resources of Rajasthan with example.
Meaning of Energy Resources
Any still or standing object needs energy for motion or to speed it up. The resources which do that activity are known as the energy resources. Things of our day to day use need energy, such as means of transport like motor-cycle, cars, buses etc. A few examples of energy resources are solar energy, hydo-electricity, coal, natural gas, Uranium, Coal etc. The best quality Lignite Coal is mined in Palana and Barsinghsor of Bikaner, and Jalipa, Kapurdi and Giral of Barmer in Rajasthan. Mineral oil and petroleum are found in Mangala and Saraswati, oil fields in west Barmer, Ghotaru, Tanot and Manihari, Tibba in Jaisalmer and in Bikaner and Jalore districts. Jaisalmer abounds in natural gas.
As regards hydro-electricity energy projects in Rajasthan, they are Chambal and Mahi Bajaj sagar, besides a few other dams raised to produce hydro-electricity in Rajasthan. The Western Rajasthan which has clear sky and direct sun rays has more probabilities for developing solar energy. The Western Rajasthan has developed many solar plants. Jaisalmer and Pratapgarh provide more solar energy for establishing solar power plants in the near future. Regarding Atomic energy, Rajasthan abounds mainly in uranium, besides thorium in the Monozite soil of Kerala. An Atomic energy plant in Rawatbhata near Kota has been set up.
RBSE Solutions for Class 10 Additional Questions Solved
Multiple Choice Questions
………… is the major producer of copper in India.
(a) Uttar Pradesh
Sardar Sarovar Project has been constructed on the river.
Short Answer Type Questions
What is mining?
The general process of extracting metal is called mining.
Name two Atomic minerals.
Name the minerals which are found only in Rajasthan.
What are the advantages of non conventional energy resources?
- Low cost of production of electricity once setup
- Safe and clean
- Non polluting
We hope the given RBSE Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Chapter 5 Mineral and Energy Resources will help you. If you have any query regarding RBSE Rajasthan Board Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Chapter 5 Mineral and Energy Resources, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.