Rajasthan Board RBSE Class 12 Political Science Notes Chapter 5 Political Socialization
- Socialization is a continuous process in society, through which a person can practice in customs, traditions, values and recognition’s thereby adopting it, becomes its active members.
- The process is called socialization, by which the child becomes a member of the particular society human society. Similarity, for the political life, there is a similar process of learning and teaching, through which a person develops political understanding
- Political socialization can be a means of transferring political culture from one generation to the next.
- The first person to explain political socialization was Herbert Simon who laid stress on its various aspects in his book “Political Socialization”. According to Amond and Powell, “Political socialization is the process through which political culture is entered and motivations for their political objectives are made”.
Tools of Political Socialization:
- There are many institutions in a society that develop a political understanding, such as family, educational institutions, political and social institutions, national symbols and mass communication etc. Some of these institutions do political socialization effortlessly and naturally, while there are some which only work formally.
- Family is considered as first school, through which the child learns customs and traditions. He/she accepts the
- command of his/her parents, thereby has an understanding of power.© Electoral experience shows that the political leaders who are supported by the head of the family are also supported by
- the other members of his family. Thus, the initial understanding towards politics is developed through family.
- Educational institutions also have important role in political socialization. The political beliefs that he/she earns in the family becomes stronger in educational institutions.
- The broader the child’s education, the greater is the possibility of his taking interest in politics.
- Political parties through their policies, ideology and functions do the important work of socialization. Although political parties have different roles in the democratic and communist countries.
- Though various political symbols such as national flag, national anthem, national day ceremony, and army parade etc. the trust towards political system and political ideology is built.
Means of Mass Communication:
- The means of mass communication i.e newspapers, T.V, radio etc. have become powerful mediumfor giving directions in the political culture to the political knowledge and thought of a person.
- Political socialization plays an important role in determining the political culture of the society.
RBSE Class 12 Political Science Notes Chapter 5 Important terms
- Socialization: Socialization is a continuous process in society.
- Political Socialization: Political socialization can be a means of transferring political culture from one generation to the next.
- Institution: There are many institutions in a society that develop a political understanding, such as family, educational institutions, political and social institutions.
- National Symbols: Through various political symbols such as national flag, national anthem, national day ceremony, and army parade etc. the trust towards political system and political ideology is built.
- World-War-II (1939-1945 AD): This world war started on 1st September, 1939 with the attack of Germany on Polland. This ended with the surrender of Japan on 14th Aug. 1945.
- Herbert Simon: Famous political thinker. He was the first to explain political socialization. His famous book is ‘Political Socialization’.
- Amond and Powell: Political scientists. They described political socialization as a means to enter into political culture.
- Kawanadya: A political thinker. According to him political socialization is the word that describes the process due to which a person receives his knowledge of politics.